Subject: Re: Re [Leica] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:08:09 -0800

Hi Simon,

I appreciate your comments, and my apoligies if I offended you or anyone
else.

I wasn't intending to be insenitive, as I, too,
thought that the locals used the term to catagorize a minority in a way that
would be considered inappropriate in the US.  But that is the term the
locals use, and I used it (parenthetically) so that one would know what the
locals were talking about.  There are also African immigrants/refugees
selling fake Rolexes, fake designer purses, cheap souvenirs, etc., at every
major tourist attraction, such as the Coliseum, leaning tower of  Pisa, St.
Mark's square, Eifel Tower, etc., who the locals call "the Africans," in a
derrogatory way that I would consider inappropriate.  I understand they are
refugees who are sometines badly exploited by such entrepreneurs.  I found
them
to be a good source of souvenir postcards for the children, selling large
packets
for only a dollar or two.

Tom