Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 90mm Elmar, three vs. four elements
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:37:04 -0500

Dan States jotted down the following:

> I have owned the 4 element LTM and found it to be amazingly sharp, but with
> low contrast.  If you can print around the contrast issue you can get very
> modern looking images.  This lens is nearly as good at f4.0 as it is at
> F8.0.  I have even used it as an enlarger lens for 21/4 with fair results.
>
> I have NOT used the 3 element, but I know it is quite a collectors item, and
> therefore not worth the cost for actual USERS.

I have a 90mm f/4 Elmar from (I think) 1937 that I use occasionally: would
that be a three or four element version?

M.

- --
Martin Howard               | "...key features are the distinctive rear
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU | lighting clusters that make the Maserati
email: howard.390@osu.edu   | 3200GT instantly recognizable to anyone
www: http://mvhoward.i.am/  | overtaken by it."  -- Maserati sales lit.

Replies: Reply from "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au> (Re: [Leica] Re: 90mm Elmar, three vs. four elements)