Subject: Re: [Leica] Latest acquisition
From: "Dave Richards" <dprichards@qwest.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 04:59:07 -0700

My only experience with the first version was handling one in a store.  I
thought the movement of the focusing ring very rough in the middle of the
range.  It felt like someone had put a handful of sand in the mechanism
before buttoning everything up.

Mine is very smooth.  The focusing ring is uniformly smooth across the
entire range.  The aperture ring snaps into the detents like my 35/2, which
is saying a lot.  The focal length ring feels a bit funky because so much
happens when the ring is turned.  At the ends (35 & 28) it seems to take an
extra little motion to make the frame lines pop up but if I turn to the
stop everything is fine, very positive.  The 50mm position snaps home.

My overall impression is that this is a necessary improvement to the first
model.  I think my first efforts will be to get used to handling it as well
as running some tests to verify focusing accuracy.  The whole thing seems
Rube Goldberg-ish enough for me to want emperical confirmation that it
really does work.

>>I picked up my newest lens Saturday, a second-model Tri-Elmar.  For those
>>of you who have them, do you have any words of wisdom, other than "just go
>>out and use it"?
>
>Have you compared it to the first version?  If so. what are your
>thoughts?  I've got a second-version one on order as well, but no
>delivery date yet.
>
>Paul Chefurka

Dave Richards
Littleton, Colorado, USA