Subject: Re: [Leica] One of those annoying "Which would you choose" posts....
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:22:04 -0800

>[snip]
>would YOU spend $350 or so for the Summarit, spend about the same on a new
>spotless Nokton (under warranty) or just buy more film and use the Jupiter 3?
>
>Michael E. Berube

Michael,

I bought a SM Summarit last year for exactly that price, and have never
regretted it. It is a fine lens and is capable of producing truly beautiful
bokeh. It gives a "creamy" look to the oof areas of shots made wide open,
and is no slouch when stopped down either.

My one possible regret is that wide open, the contrast is not as well
defined as with the contemporary Summicron 50, for example. I realize that
Leica had some 30 years to perfect both the glass and the coatings during
that time, so it is really not a fair comparison. I mention it only as "my
one complaint."

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still opt for the Summarit over the
Nokton. While I'm sure the latter is a fine performer - perhaps even
sharper and with higher contrast wide open - I like the look the Summarit
is capable of producing, and also I wanted a lens that balanced well on my
IIIF. The Nokton was too hefty for the smaller LTM body. I've also heard
that the Nokton bokeh left something to be desired, and since I am one who
appreciates the way in which creamy, smooth, unobtrusive oof areas enhance
the in focus subject of the image, I opted for the Summarit.

Let us know which lens you choose, and how well you like it.

Guy