Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW, PAD etc.
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:05:17 -0800

>photographer and a
>> mediocre photographer is the difference between five rolls per week and
>five
>> weeks per roll.<<<<<<<<<
>and Ted responded:
>[snip]
>But the more shooting one does, without question, should make one a better
>photographer! However, if one just snaps without any rhyme or reason, they
>are not going to be any more than a snap shooter that gets lucky sometimes.
>Not only is it important to shoot lots of images, it's important to look at
>them and be throat cutting sincere in editing the material. And certainly
>not relying on the kind words of relatives that one is doing just a smashing
>job as a photographer!

I agree with Ted on this one. Sure, the more you shoot the better you stand
to become, but to improve it seems to me that more has to occur that just
shooting. Thinking about what you're trying to achieve with the images
you're creating, giving some thought to how you're exposing and composing
the picture at hand, looking carefully over your proofs, evaluating what
worked and what didn't and why, trying to seize upon what did work and
expanding *that*; that - coupled to shooting five rolls a week - may lead
to some kind of understanding and improvement in our work, IMO.

Guy