Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica IIIf dim rangefinder
From: Andrew Moore <dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:46:32 -0500 (EST)

> of M2/M3 rangefinders.  However, when I took my IIIf to Adolph Gasser in San
> Francisco [I'm Bay Area] I was told that the internal rangefinder mechanisms
> really could not be repaired and that I should just leave it.

I don't think that's true.  Sherry Krauter didn't mention any such thing
when I asked her to check into brightening the contrast of the rangefinder
on my IIIf last year.  She said she'd check it out and maybe replace a
mirror or something in there... as it turns out I don't think she did (I
let her use her judgement) and it looks like a good old cleaning did a
good enough job.

One thing you can do, if you haven't done so already, is buy a small
circular orange cover for the RF window (on the lens side) which should
increase contrast a bit.  I think Leitz made one, and I think Sherry might
even have some available.  I used to use one on my IIIf.

- --Andrew