Subject: Results or Journey? (was: Re: [Leica] kids? leica? a stern reprimand from the PLUG)
From: Doug Herr <merlin@flyingemu.com>
Date: 17 Jan 2001 09:05:31 -0800

On Wed, 17 January 2001, Cmrausr@aol.com wrote:

> I'm all for people learning to see better as photographers. But sometimes the
> JOURNEY happens damned quickly, and if you can make the picture you want with
> autofocus, autoexposure, fill flash and a motor drive, that's the way to do
> it, because it will produce RESULTS that you can USE. If I want to enjoy the
> journey, I use my Leicas. When it means putting bread on the table, lots of
> times autofocus et al works better, and I'm better at using it because of the
> manual skills I've developed shooting with the rangefinders.
>
> cheers
> Scott Stewart

Scott, you've got a good point.  I'm interested in a blending of the journey and the results, and the old Leicaflex SL (and now, SL2) meets my needs best.  For me, bread on the table comes from my day job, but even there I try to include the journey in my daily results.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!