Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 28 vs 35 (was 0.58 vs 0.72 Mag Finder)
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:18:22 -0500

on 16/1/01 6:31 am, Brougham at brougham3@yahoo.com wrote:

>> The 28 encourages you (well, me, anyway) to compose from the edges,
>> the 35 from the centre. The results are quite different.
>
> Could you point to what you think are some of your representational
> examples of this difference in composition?

sure... this is actually with a 24 on a T90 but you can see that the
composition is defined by the girls on the right and the boy on the left,
even though the 'subject' I had in mind was the boy in the centre.

    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/uneasystreets/pages/011.html

This is on the 35

    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_1/pages/004.html

It's not an either-or, but what I'm getting at is that wider lenses
encourage you to find your subject in the centre, then complete the
photograph by finding elements at the edges, or even forget the centre
entirely. The 35mm lens is where central 'closed' compositions start to
happen for me.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com