Subject: Re: [Leica] focusing Minox
From: Bernard Cousineau <flatbroke@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:31:35 -0500

Martin Howard wrote:
> Speaking of focus and cinematography, how do they determine focus in
> Hollywood these days?  From what I've seen of behind-the-scenes stuff, they
> use gaffer tape on the floor in an X pattern so that the actors know where
> to stand, which would suggest that they focus by measuring the distance from
> the film plane to the X, rather than by eye.  Is this the case?
In a nutshell, yes. Focus is measured using tape whenever possible. Film
lenses are (or should be) calibrated for focus every time they go out on
a shoot. The focus puller marks each focussing point in a scene and
makes the transitions as the camera is running. The marks on the floor
are meant to guide the actors, and to help the puller determine how far
off they are from the measured distance.

Bernard