Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Archival of digital images
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:34:21 -0500

Tina Manley jotted down the following:

> I still keep all my slides on file so if anything happens to the digital, I
> can rescan.

I find this is part of the problem with digital photography.  If you shoot
on film, you don't throw out the film, so now you have both film and CDs to
archive.

And whereas the negative is the basis for a print, when you scan, do you
only store the raw scan at the highest resolution?  Or cleaned up versions?
In different file formats?  I routinely store a raw TIFF at 1600dpi (the
equivalent of the negative), a Photoshop (PSD) file format which has been
slightly cleaned up (levels and curves adjusted -- sort of the digital
negative) at 1600dpi, and then perhaps a 700 pixel wide JPEG for quick
preview and web publishing, along with a 200 pixel wide thumbnail.  If I do
extensive manipulation of an image, then that gets stored as a PSD file too,
to retain the layers, etc.  It adds up.  Managing all this stuff becomes a
hassle, pretty quickly.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "I am Pentium of Borg.  Division is
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | futile.  You will be approximated."
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |                            -- Unknown