Subject: Re: [Leica] Snow white????
From: MEBerube <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:23:48 -0500

At 07:42 PM 1/15/01 +0100, julianthomas.terra.es wrote:
>The interesting thing about these is that they went straight into my 'in'
>box. All my listserv emails go into various folders - so how do these peopel
>ghet hold of email addresses?
>
>Julian

Well as I read it only the original creator of the virus actually sent it
out there. Now (as is the nature of a Net Worm) it sends itself from
infected PCs. Any address that is sent a post from an infected PC is also
then sent a virus email. As most likely your filtering is done based on the
"From: LUG" or "Subject: [Leica]". These infected posts will not be coming
from LUG or have [Leica] in the subject as any such infected post would be
sent on through the LUG where it would be killed (assumption on my part as
I've not got any hahaha posts from the LUG yet.) Ergo, the posts are not
likely being sent to you via LUG posts but someone else who has sent email
to your address directly who is infected.

To note here the most damaging aspect of this virus is that it annoys
people and clogs up email servers when folks are e-mailing unprotected and
mass proliferation happens. It effectively doubles each infected hosts
email use. Hacking in and of itself isn't a bad thing but the jerks who
create stuff like this (and then set it free into the wilds of the Net)
ought to be deprived of anything remotely electronic for 20 years.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube
bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce
bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."
- -Rich Cook

Replies: Reply from "Dave Richards" <dprichards@qwest.net> (Re: [Leica] Snow white????)
Reply from MEBerube <MEB@goodphotos.com> (Re: [Leica] Snow white????)