Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Image File Formats
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:14:06 -0500

At 08:42 PM 1/14/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm sure I'm missing something here, Tina...But I've been saving my
>files as neg size, 4000 dpi, Tiff files, compressed to about 2/3 of
>their size...so a 20 meg 8 bit gray scale file ends up stored at about
>14-17 Meg....open it up, resize it to what ever you want in what ever
>format, and go....AM I missing something? :-)
>
>B. D.

B.D. -

The explanation I have gotten is that when you depend on Photoshop or
another photo editing program to resample the file, you are either deleting
random pixels or adding manufactured pixels.  Supposedly Genuine Fractals
uses a mathematical formula (fractals) that makes the whole process much
more efficient and undetectable.  Math is not my forte and to even think
about fractals makes my hair hurt.  I trust them and they do a great
job.  Nikon must think the whole thing works or they would not be including
the software with their new scanners.  You can save a 4 meg file and open
it as a 20 meg file with no loss of quality.  You can make a 20 meg file,
save it as a 2 meg file and open it as a 60 meg file with no loss of quality.

Check it out:

http://www.altamira-group.com/html/how/f_howgf2.html

I have had no problems with Genuine Fractals except that some filing
programs don't recognize the .stn file format, but I imagine that will
change with Nikon's use for their scanners.

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com