Subject: Re: [Leica] scanner
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 20:23:11 -0500

Jeff S <4season@boulder.net> wrote (edited):

> Just as I was thinking that USB scanners + Macintosh =
> Trouble, along comes the Epson Perfection 1640SU SCSI/USB
> flatbed scanner, and it works like a charm, and it's fast
> too. For a bit more money, you can get it with a
> transparency adaptor which handles MF and 4x5 (I haven't
> tried this).

I got one of these, with the transparency unit, for Xmas. So far I've used
it mainly for scanning MF film. It does a good job. No film terms so you're
on your own with color correction and such. The color positive scans I've
made have been a little magenta heavy but this is easy to dial out. Haven't
tried color neg film yet. Best results so far have been with 120 XP2 Super.

That upcoming Nikon multi-format scanner looks pretty tempting, and at a
very reasonable price too compared with the recent multi-format Sprintscan.
It's gonna be a big technology year for me...new computer, upgraded audio
recording/editing setup, broadband (finally!) Internet access, possibly
another new film scanner. I'll have to start using my IIIf more to keep
myself grounded. :-)

- -Dave-