Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Image File Formats
From: "julianthomas.terra.es" <julianthomas@terra.es>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:47:43 +0100

Dave, I use something called Genuine Fractals. It is a Photoshop plug-in
that allows you to store images in a compressed form, open them at any size
without the loss of quality that comes with upscaling in photoshop. You need
about a 20 meg file for it to work at its best which then compresses to
10-15megs. Once opened you can convert the file into any format you want via
photoshop 'save as' command. Tina manley put me on to it (thanks Tina). I
also use Vuescan which stops me using crazy resolutions. I normally scan in
Vuescan using 16bit grayscale, to about 11x16 inches with a res of about
340/360. When I've adjusted levels/curves in PS I then convert to 8bit
grayscale which leaves a file of about 20meg for GF to compress. There is a
demo at www.genuinefractals.com

Julian