Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Archival of digital images
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 12:18:09 -0500

At 08:52 PM 1/13/01 -0800, you wrote:

>For the members who are heavily into digital, how do you manage your media?
>Does anyone still use magneto-optical media these days? Is that still the
>most archival removable media? I think current CD-RW media doesn't provide
>much more than a few years of safety for your digital images. I'm excited
>about the digital revolution, but have to admit that I'm happy not to have
>to worry too much about magnetic rays affecting my old K64 slides!
>
>Thanks,
>Chris Hoover
>San Diego, CA

Chris -

I save everything in Genuine Fractals and put it on CD's.  I use the Kodak
Gold CD's which are supposed to be pretty stable.  I still keep all my
slides on file so if anything happens to the digital, I can rescan.  Now
with the new 4000 dpi Nikon scanners coming out, I may be rescanning some
favorite slides anyway!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com