Subject: ROM conversions (was: Re: [Leica] 50 Summicron-R)
From: Doug Herr <merlin@flyingemu.com>
Date: 12 Jan 2001 07:38:33 -0800

On Fri, 12 January 2001, Vick Ko wrote:

> Neat.  So if I want to replace a ROM implant with a third cam,
> can I buy a bag of parts and do the surgery myself?
>
> Or are there complex and fiddly calibrations that need to
> be done?
>
> Thanks
> Vick

ROM lenses also have the 3rd cam.  The ROM contacts are in the position the 1st cam used to occupy, and would be damaged by the cam follower on Leicaflex Standard and SL2 bodies, so ROM lenses have an R-only mount.

My understanding is that the ROM stuff can be replaced with Leicaflex cams, and the R-only mount can be replaced with the Leicaflex mount (which is what I did with my 14256).  There are probably some shims involved in getting the 1st and 2nd cams in the right position; some R-only lenses may have the mounting holes already drilled in the inner aperture control ring (my 50mm Summicron-R did) but others may not.  It's a fiddly conversion and itty-bitty parts can get lost or go "sproing" if you're not careful.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!