Subject: RE: [Leica] about the 21 w/goggles
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:46:49 -0000

Tom A's your man to anser this as he thought up the idea.
But I know, through having explored the possibility that the theoretical
view through the window is 19.2mm (the 35mm view having being multiplied by
a 0.7x optic in front) In working practise Tom says this is just fine.
The drawback that made me decide not to go through with a conversion was
the losing of the r/f coupling. Well it doesn't actually decouple it but
the focusing is only accurate in the r/f at infinity. This is the converse
of taking goggles off a 35mm M3-type lens, where it needs the optics to
function correctly.
Tom acknowledges this of course but feels that the benefits outway the
drawbacks. He can scale focus, of course, and never has to worry about
losing his finder, in fact he can sell it to fund the conversion! He can
even keep his MR meter on his M2, that's neat ;-)
Of course this works only the M1, M2, M4(-2/P), M5 and M6(TTL) but not the
M3 as it relies on using the 35mm frame.

Jem