Subject: digital workflow (was: Re: Re:[Leica] The Joy of BD's Darkroom --- DG darkroom)
From: Doug Herr <merlin@flyingemu.com>
Date: 11 Jan 2001 20:38:55 -0800

On Thu, 11 January 2001, Jiri_Dvorak@idx.com wrote:

> what is a good/standard workflow in PS after the image is scanned?
> From what I found so far, one should not use 'contrast/brightness' and 'sharpen'
> adjustments, but 'level/curves' and 'unsharp mask'. So in which order do you do
> this?
>
> Thanks, and if it seems too OT, please reply privately.
>
> Jiri

I save unsharp mask for the last Last LAST step before printing.  I resize first to the largest print size I'll wnat, get rid of dust/scratches, then adjust colors using adjustment layers, then save and archive the file.  When I want to print the file, I flatten the image, convert to Lab color, unsharp mask only on the "L" channel, convert back to RGB, and print.  If I want to resize I do that before sharpening.

The reason I use adjustment layers rather than adjusting the original pixels is because multiple adjustments can cause clipping errors, which, when accumulated, will result in a loss of tonal gradation.  Using adjustment layers avoids that problem.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!