Subject: Re: [Leica] The Joy of BD's Darkroom
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:18:04 -0500

I'm blushing.....

But blushing aside...there is no question that a wet darkroom
craftsperson can turn out truly superb works of art....But the day when
one could dismiss digital printing as less than a real photographic
process, or just quick junk, is long past....And....while I certainly
think that Jay overstates the quality, etc., of my prints, I would point
out that whatever I have learned about this form of printing I have done
on my own, sitting in front of my home computer, with nothing to guide
me but my own instincts, a copy of The Digital Darkroom, and the tips I
have picked up by Email from fellow LUGers....I'm not suggesting that
"any idiot" can do this well, but I would guess that any decent
photographer, or printer, can learn to do it well on his or her
own...there is something really inutitive about this process, and about
PhotoShop, despite the fact that it has a really steep learning
curve...I find that as I struggle up the curve, I hit a "holy shit!"
point every so often where I stumble on something - that was probably
right under my nose all along - that makes an enormous difference in the
quality of my output....to say nothing of the fact that printers get
better by the day.....

B. D.

Who really does have great respect for those of you who turn out quality
silver prints - because I've never been able to do it well enough to
please myself...:-)