Subject: [Leica] Re: The Joy of BD's Darkroom
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:43:05 -0800

At 05:37 PM 1/10/01 -0500, B. D. Colen wrote:
>Very nice....But, uh, let me understand this....You took the photo,
>developed the film, put enormous amounts of time, effort, and money into
>getting a darkroom up and running....selected the neg, put in it the,
>what's that thing called, the "biggerer?", focused the negative image on
>the easel...selected paper grade and filter...guestimated
>exposure...exposed, dodged, burned, etc....and very well too.....put the
>paper in a tray of wet, smelly chemicals, transfered it to a second
>tray, then to a third - turned on the light...said SHIT!....started the
>whole process over....eventually, got the image you wanted. Washed the
>print. Dried it....>THEN you scanned the print, made a few corrections
>in photo shop, and set it up for us all to see? Right...
>
>Instead of developing the neg, scanning it, correcting in photo shop,
>and....set it up for us to all to see? Am I missing something here?:-)
>
>B. D.

Yes, the fun part! The enlarging and processing to produce a good print.
The smell of Dektol and hypo. Like racing, the smell of castor oil and nitro.

Or you could be content with carpal tunnel syndrome, bleary eyes, and
headaches from sitting in front of a computer for hours on end, emulating
the craft of photography. And racing with the Super Mario Brothers to keep
from dozing off.

:-)

Jim

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: The Joy of BD's Darkroom)