Subject: RE: [Leica] Cosina still at it
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:47:04 -0800

Guy... I was a marketing person when I was working.... we specialized in
technologically advanced ideas, switching the user to bigger and better at
the same price....that was the strategy, and my bias....

I never said that the LTM Lenses were not selling.... I said ( or should
have stated directly) that I would not support the idea, either as Mr.
Cosina or as Herr Leica.  I would make only M series mount lenses.  To your
point that I should be thankful of the availability of the 13 and 15mm
lenses, yes I am.... I just would have fired the guy for suggesting they
should be in LTM.

About the cost of manufacture.. the cost difference on a CNC computer
controlled lathe/milling machine  is miniscule comparing the LTM vs the M
mount..... Tom A could probably speak to this with  more knowledge, but the
costs are not substantial.....  And even if the cost were there, it costs
$75 or so to get the LTM to M adapter anyway,... so the lens with the M
mount would cost the same as the lens + adapter.........it is a null point.
I guess a side comment is that I would not support the LTM with my R+D
dollars nor my inventory dollars.

The new COsina LTM Lens Popularity is simple... in FL where there are both
in the market, the (new) COsina lenses cost a fraction of a (used) Leitz
lens. Period.  In the case of the 13 or 15, there is no competition..... you
buy form Mr Cosina or not enjoy the benefits of a super WA lens.  As a
matter of price, Cosina throws in the finder with the lens for less than
Leica charges for the finder by itself....  Yes they are pretty good lenses,
but more importantly, they are cheap.

Would I buy a Konica 15mm lens in M mount for $1000.... Not if Cosina had a
M Mount 15mm lens for $400 with the finder..... which is what I want them to
do.....

BTW, I do own a 15mm Cosina lens... it is tiny, cheap and takes better than
decent pix....and it is in my travel outfit....4 lenses, M6 + CL ( backup
camera) in a relatively tiny Domke bag....
When Mr Cosina offers the lens in straight M Mount ( no adapter) I will
offer to sell my LTM 15mm lens....cheap, and buy the M mount one.....You
haven't lived until you try to take a LTM to M adapter off a M body, once it
sticks on.....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net