Subject: RE: rabbits are not rodents (was: Re: [Leica] How can I stop my rabbit from chewing on the cables)
From: Doug Herr <merlin@flyingemu.com>
Date: 10 Jan 2001 10:55:21 -0800

On Wed, 10 January 2001, Dante Stella wrote:

> Pardon my impertinence, but the status of rabbits as related to rodents
> was revisited in the past 10 years with DNA testing.  I think it was in
> Science.  At any rate DNA makes them rodents, even if taxonomy
> doesn't.
>
> Cheers
> Dante Stella

It's news to me.  Thanks for the info.  There has been some question of the significance of DNA testing in the context of determining relationships among various species, and in fact among birds some re-classification based on DNA testing was later reversed, but I'm not as well versed in the subject as I ought to be so for now I'll defer to those who are working with the stuff regularly.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!