Subject: [Leica] [LEICA] Do you like your P&S?
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 02:27:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi, LUGers

I've owned a reasonably well-featured P&S for the past 3 years: a Leica
Mini Zoom. This camera has a particularly good 35-70mm lens, for
sharpness and contrast, although it can be very prone to flare. It has
auto-focus and auto-exposure program mode only, with absolutely no
feedback on anything the camera has decided for itself. It's got some
override features (flash off, flash on, infinity & no flash, +2ev,
pre-flash to avoid red-eye, etc.) but I find the degree of control
inadequate. The built-in flash has the usual problems of being fixed
and underpowered. The viewfinder is good but not great.

My problem is, I think I'm developing an aversion to this camera! Even
though its results can be very good, I don't feel confident using it.
I'd much rather lug my R7 with a few extra lenses in a bag than use the
Mini Zoom. It's uncomfortable, fiddly, unfriendly and uninspiring.

Do others have similar feelings about P&S cameras?

Regards,

=====
Ray