Subject: RE: [Leica] Cosina still at it
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:59:14 -0000

Steve,
(noting the smiley)

I can't think of a third party manufacturer of Leica fit lenses that made
them solely in M-fit, Minolta, Konica, made them ostensibly for their own M
bayonet cameras. Even Steinheil (and they only made a few) who did produce
a few M-fit lenses, predominately made them in screw mount. I've heard of,
though not seen the Kobalux lenses in M-mount, again they're predominately
manufactured in LTM.
I think Leica have been very vigilant about protecting this mount. Two and
half years ago the photo world expected the Konica Hexar RF to be launched
at Photokina, it wasn't, in part I believe (having asked questions of both
K and L), because of Leica's challenge to their use of the M-mount.

But the reason Leica made bayonet lenses (which was the question you asked)
was of course to catch up with the rest of the photographic world, Zeiss
had been making bayonet lenses for the Contax since their instigation in
1932. The world had waited 22 years for a fast mount lens on a Leica !

I had a look at your Paris pictures and particularly enjoy the one of the
two lovers about to kiss, the balancing lad in the background, the keep
left sign and the lad cycling down the pavement on an invisible bicycle!
Lots of engagement in a single frame.

Jem