Subject: Re: [Leica] Grouchiness on the LUG
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 01:44:59 -0800 (PST)

Greg Bicket wrote:

Ray, LUG is home to some thorny rascals.

If you are waiting for gentle tolerance of oft repeated novice
questions, it may be a long wait.  That's what the archives are for.
Many of us enjoy the LUG as a spot we gleefully ignore political
correctness and get to the point.  Sometimes basic consideration gets
thrown out with the bathwater. Patience with the occasional barb is
rewarded with a wealth of knowledge. Tolerance is sometimes in short
supply, and we go 'way over the top with damned foolishness from time
to time. Neither are fools suffered gladly.

LUG isn't for everyone, and once in a while, it's not for anyone, but
there is a substantial, if sometimes subtle overriding value to the
LUG.  While from time to time we slide into excess, rudeness,
nitpicking, and unfortunate behavior.  If you don't feel like saying
the "hell with it" and unsubscribing several times a year, you are not
reading all the posts.  But there are real gems of wisdom, experience,
photographic theory and technology, and once in awhile warm good humor.
 Best advice for new LUGgers is get used to it, or get over it.

Enjoy the light.
times a year, you are not reading all the posts." Well, I won't claim
to have read all the posts since I joined, but I've read a fair number
of them and I haven't felt like quitting yet.

I try, always, to remind myself to be tolerant of what may seem like
grouchiness in some postings but could, in fact, be the manifestation
of a far deeper problem of which I, as mere reader, am unaware. Who
knows what anxieties may lie behind some of these intemperate
outpourings? Is it just someone who got out of the wrong side of bed,
or could it be a desperate cry for help of some poor, demented soul
going through unimaginable torment? Some of the little skirmishes on
the LUG are, indeed, amusing but we should moderate our mirth, IMHO,
and remind ourselves that "there, but for the grace of God, go I".

Getting back down to Earth, I should mention that I've ploughed through
the archives many times, as you suggest, looking for topics that
interest me but - guess what? - no matter how far I go back I still
come across the same old advice in those ancient postings, namely,
"Look in the archives: that's what they're for."  ;-) Just kidding!
Actually, there is a wealth of information if one digs for it. Some
LUGers, at least, have found time to share their knowledge with others.
However, as I infer from your post, some have probably just got sick of
doing it over and over again. Anyway, I have learned a lot from my
brief time on the LUG and I am thankful for it.

Regards,

=====
Ray