Subject: Re: [Leica] photographers (Loengard)
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:02:25 -0800

>>just wanted to know what you all think of the work of john loengard. i
>>picked up a (used) book of his work the other day. it's called "pictures
>>under discussion" and includes many images he did for life magazine.
>>[snip]
>>i like what i've seen of his (particularly his portraits, which are
>>occasionally stunning) and was wondering if he had other fans on the lug.
>>
>>guy
>
>me too, i liked the 'pictures under discussion'.
>
>i also have his book 'life photographers, what they saw' which
>contains recent interviews with 40-50 life staff photographers from
>the start of publication until it ended. i liked the first half of
>the book, but then the law of diminish return took its toll. it
>became rather repetetive, so i have put it aside for a while.
>
>loengard has also written a book called 'the negative and something'.
>I would be interested to hear how it dealss with negatives and if it
>is worth ordering, as i have not seen it in any bookshop.
>
>chris

i've also got (and got through) "what they saw" which, though repetitive, i
found quite interesting. also, it turned me on to quite a few photographers
that i was previously unaware of.

his book on negatives seems to be just that: a book made up of photographs
of other photographers negatives. while i don't know how interesting that
book will be to me, i do like his thought: prints generally exceed in value
the negatives from which they are produced. why is that? i think his idea
was to document the sources of iconic "great" prints.

guy

Message from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net@idt.net> ([Leica] photographers)