Subject: Re: [Leica] Comparison of Leica SLR and Contax SLR Systems
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 04:14:20 -0500

Isn't the R8 also prone to some sort of shutter failure?

I've only run into one Contax with shutter problems.
It was a very early RTS with a snapped shutter string.
They used strings rather than tapes but were super reliable.

Here's the bottom line if you ask me.

If you are a serious picture taker and need the absolute best lenses from a
mechanical standpoint
with superb optics and are willing to pay spacely sums for them, by all means
take
an R system body with a 3 lenses or so. On the other hand if you are equally
serious and want/need the benefits of a system camera
made by a company with ENORMOUS technological resources that can give you
autofocus, focus assist,
built in quiet motorization, a superb viewfinder and far more sophisticated
exposure modes at a lower price with the option
of using lenses which are optically almost as good as Leitz or in some cases
even as good or yikes even better*,
then take an RTS 3 with a few lenses and use the money you save to buy an AX, RX

or Aria and one more lens!
I've never handled an Aria but it looks absolutely delicious!

*Not sure about the better but a friend of mine who has an even more acute case
of this than I do
tells me that the 50/1.4 Planar is the sharpest 50 commercially available!
BTW: here's one for the grammarians. Was I correct to put the comma after the
asterisk????

Also, remember that Leica could well be out of business soon. As far as I've
heard
the clothing manufacturer was about to buy them. Parent companies
usually liquidate non productive subsidiaries without thinking twice!
If that happens and you are a serious user rather than a ditzy collector.
your biggest headache will be to get your equipment serviced, particularly the
Rs

See Ya
Javier

PS: I love Contaxes old and new!