Subject: [Leica] RE: Wedding cameras
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 17:50:46 -0800

At 10:43 AM 1/6/01 -0800, A. H. Ongun wrote:

>Hassy's are in a different market and have a niche among wedding/portrait
>photogs.
>
>Andy

Ugh!!! I don't think so!!! Hasselblad is the premier MF commercial camera
system. Wedding photographers like AF (Nikon, Contax, Mamiya, etc.) Yes,
many use Hasselblad, more use other cameras. Because of the extensive
system, zone system support, auto-bracketing, entry level bodies, extensive
electronic bodies, Super Wide, Super long APO and Super APO lenses, etc...
Hasselblad is entrenched deeply in the commercial/illustrative photography
market. Commercial, Illustrative, Advertising, Fine Art, and advanced
amateur photographers out number Hasselblad wedding photographers by a
H-U-G-E margin.

While attending Brooks Institute of Photography and working as a commercial
photographer for a dozen years afterward, I only saw Hasselblads used in a
commercial venue. In all of the weddings that I attended over the past 40
years, I remember seeing Hasselblad used only twice. All the rest (many
dozen) were Bronica, Mamiya, and Nikon. Even though I've always owned
Hasselblad (except for a few years during the late 80's and early 90's) I
have always used my Leica's to shoot weddings (personal favor to friends
getting married) and I borrowed a Mamiya Flex TLR for one during a time
when I had no Leica and my Hasselblad system had been stolen!!! (1963).
Bummer! Insurance did not pay!!!  Double bummer! 500C, two backs, 50, 80, &
150 lenses, sheet film back and ten sheet film holders. And I knew who it
was but couldn't do anything about it!

Jim