Subject: [Leica] an appeal to photographer (was re: tina's print pricing)
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:08:24 -0500 (EST)

there's a great editorial in camera arts this quarter about print pricing,
something that i feel strongly about as an art buyer and art producer.
prints, photographic prints, _should_ be priced inexpensively. as the t.v.
commercial says, "crunch all you want, we'll make more" -- it's rediculous
to pay $1,200 for an 11x14 print, even if it is by sally mann. especially
now with the advent of digital printing where prints can be reliably
reproduced in quantity without the aid of an expensive darkroom
technician. i'd much rather have one of my prints in someone's house.
pricing high is simply creating false rarity. print pricing should be
based on the difficulty in making the print, and recouping some of your
photographic investment.

join me in the fight against limited editions. well, me and HCB.

kc

(the editorial makes the point that photographic prints today are based
on the painting model "this is my work, you're taking it away forever"
when they should be based on the music model "your buying this CD doesn't
change my master recording so i can sell it to you cheap" -- it's a good
article and a good point)

Replies: Reply from MEBerube <MEB@goodphotos.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: an appeal to photographer)
Reply from "Tim Spragens" <info@borderless-photos.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: an appeal to photographer (was re: tina's print pricing))