Subject: [Leica] Another M3 rangefinder question
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 8:14:33 EST

I have a chance to buy a very early M3 outfit that has rangefinder woes
similar to those described in the M3 thread already.   In my case, there
is no secondary moving image whatsoever.  If you look at the bright line
window (the central one) you can see that there is something protruding
into that area behind the glass.

1)  Is it possible that some mirror has come loose and is responsible both
for the lack of rangefinder image and the thing behind the glass?

2)  In case the problem is that the mirrored prism has come apart, can
this be reglued?  How much would such a repair cost?

3)  I recall dimly hearing about someone in the U.S. South who specializes
in resilvering and recement the prism.  Can I get contact information and
some idea of what he charges?

Thanks for any help that you can give me on this.  I want to have some
idea what my options are, short of replacing the M3 rangefinder system
with that of a M6 or using the body as a parts camera.

Mark

Mark Langer

Email address: mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca