Subject: [Leica] our trip to iceland and holland part 3 of 4
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 16:56:03 -0500 (EST)

i urge you all to please visit this text on the web where all my fine
photographs are included:
http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/travel/iceland-holland-2000/

Reykjavik Diary
An account, in some words but mostly pictures, of our adventures in
Iceland and Holland
during the last days of the century.
December 2000
kyle cassidy

part 3 of 4

Amsterdam Is Made Of Bicycles
There are no fat people in Europe. The Dutch are all as skinny as New York
supermodels. They have to -- otherwise they wouldn't be able to fit four
people on a bicycle. The Dutch think nothing of riding four on a bike --
three is typical (the one sitting on the handlebars is invariably holding
the umbrella), but four isn't anything to call the media about. To
outsiders, it's something akin to clowns pouring out of a Volkswagen and
we stop and stare every time we see three hundred and sixty pounds of
Dutch on a rusty 1970's era bike tooling along to wherever these people
go.

Tuesday Linda and Joe and Matt head off to Brussels. I opt to hang out in
Amsterdam and try and explore as much of the city as I can on foot without
getting run over by a bicycle. I'd been toying with the idea of getting my
hair cut -- who knows. It'll depend on where I end up.
With the vague idea of heading over to the Anne Frank house and watching
the tourists I start making my way West through narrow streets, constantly
in a state of renovation, everything's being ripped up to make way for
something else.

 I pass through a gallery district (there are many) but all the galleries
are closed. Peering in through the windows I wonder what sells here.
I pass a youth hostel with a sign in the window reminding the residents
that the stoop is not a gathering place and the neighbors would certainly
appreciate it if everybody either stayed inside or went somewhere else.

In Global Chillange I meet Annya and Monique, one of Amsterdam's "Brown"
coffee shops. It got a special "thumbs up" in the "Get Lost!" guide I've
been carrying around in my back pocket. Annya's from Poland. "I live for
this music," she says, indicating the trance playing on the bar's
turntable, "that's why I'm here. That and I want to be a fashion
designer."

I find myself sitting at a table with the strangely named Mark and Luke,
they're rolling cigarettes and chatting at one another in Dutch when Mark
looks up at me and says: "American, yes?"
"Yes." I've heard people say that if anybody asks you what country you're
from you should say Canada, but it would be pretty transparent. I can't
name four cities in Canada.

"Who appointed Rhenquist?" he asks. I pause for a minute. I wouldn't
expect this from Americans, let alone someone in a coffee shop in the
Netherlands.
"Nixon," I say.

"Aah," says Luke, "then Gore is lost? The court will decide for Bush?"
"I don't know," I say. "The court is very States Rights centric, which
would make me believe they're rule in favor of Gore, saying that Florida
has a constitutional right to decide it's own election. But if they were
going to do that, they wouldn't have agreed to take the case. So I don't
know."
"It's a mystery," says Luke, who has one eyebrow that covers his entire
forehead. He seems very stoned.

We have a president
The wait is over. CNN World News tells us that the Supreme Court in the
U.S. has remanded Gore's request for a recount back to the Florida supreme
court with a deadline to recount that has already passed. Essentially
ending the election. Gore expected to make a concession speech this
evening, which is some crazy time in europe. I have no idea when it's
going to be on. We all breathe some sigh; whether it's of relief or angst
who's to say. It's over anyway. And what a voyage it's been.

Wednesday Rembrandt and Van Gogh
I've never been impressed by Van Gogh and today's no exception. I have no
patience for impressionists or post-impressionists. The Reichsmuseum is
nice, though I find myself underwhelmed by their Rembrandt collection, an
indication that Holland has been looted for hundreds of years. The
national gallery in D.C. has a pretty stunning collection of Rembrants all
somehow ripped off from Holland over the intervening centuries; but they
don't have the Nightwatch.

I stop in and check out the photo gallery. Matt seems to be dying from
some sort of culture shock. He looks dreadfully bored.

"I thought we've been here like three hours," he says, looking at his
watch, "it's only been 45 minutes!"
Previously Matt had told me he wanted to checkout some museums "because I
have like zero culture."
He did like the Van Gogh museum.

Dancing With The Green Fairy
One thing I knew that I wanted to do while in europe was drink absinthe,
the strange liquor that inspired Oscar Wilde, Hemingway, Van Gogh and a
host of others, made illegal in the 1930's because, well, because it's
poisonous. Exaggerated absinthe drinking has been linked to
hallucinations, ringing in the ears, madness and death. It's all from the
wormwood. And as Amste is the Disneyland of vice and debauchery, you can
get absinthe at the the Absinthe Lounge # 171 Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal
street.
I'd read about it on the Internet.

And let me say now, if you go to Amsterdam, go to Absinthe. It's cave-like
and very hip0 you'll never get one.
 photo linda

 The bartender was a woman about 23 or 24 in a horizontal striped shirt
and puffs of hair jutting out in pigtails (which Linda told me were fake).
She poured us four small glasses of absinthe and we retired to a cornout
four feet six, spun trance records, eyes closed, headphones clutched to
her ears swaying back and forth like a little metronome. I wondered why
she thought she needed the headphones.

After years of anticipation and speculation, well, absinthe tastes d the
stuff, so can I.

While we're talking about the horribleness of absinthe (everybody else has
long since switched to heinekin, except Linda, who's trying to teach the
bartender how to make a cosmopolitan) a guy sitting at the bar near us
rolling a hu"

"Haahaha! What do you think of your new president, George Wanker Boooosh?"

There follows another spate of laughter and a couple other people gather
around to ask us how we feel about our new president, George Wanker
Boooosh, and every time they say  we've all been tossing back Heinikin,
the tap water of Holland, we buy our new friends Jack Daniels. Not quite
the tap water of America, but not so bad. (The tap water of America is
probably Budweiser, but who would want to embarrass themselves by
handingrsation, people from all over Europe, an office party from Belfast
collides into us.

Somehow the conversation keeps turning back to George Bush. They seem
incredulous that the man got any votes. I can't offer any answers, that
seems to baffle them just ssels, two hours, off the train, eat Belgian
waffles (very important to them that these be consumed in Belgium) then
two hours back to Amsterdam just in time to fall asleep around midnight.
I, on the other hand, am looking forward to doing laundry tomorrowne to
the grocery store and the laundromat and the bar without all the
tourists.....

Despite having to get up early the next morning, Matt doesn't want to go,
as he's making some progress with some girl sitting at the bar. He waves
us off and we vanish in a puff of rain.