Subject: Re: [Leica] exploring the limits (part 3)
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 14:53:50 +0200

Thank you Erwin for the first three installments. They put into well
backed up word many of those things I have had a feeling  were true
but which I could not really prove. Like a tabular iso 100 film being
better in everyday use than TP or APX 25 as one gains more in reduced
cameras shake due to increased speed than one loses in grain and
resolution. With a tripod it is different, but only maybe.

Also, I liked the introduction of the terms 'law of diminshing
returns' into this subject field. And your stressing that user
capabilitity may be the limiting factor. Luckily enough you also said
that one needs to use high quality lenses to get the best out of the
system. After all I have a 21mm ASPH demo on order with my dealer's.

There has been much lamenting recently about APX 25 no longer being
manufactured. I have not been able to understand why people should be
so upset about this, but obviously the Agfa people came to the same
conclusion as you Erwin.

Talking about manufacturers. Réponses Photo issue 104 had a film
survey and they listed all the resolution figures as given by the
manufacturers, except for Ilford film as Ilford does not publish such
figures. Do you know why Ilford do not publish these figures, and can
they be obtained elsewhere? As a user of Ilford films, it seems to me
they have nothing to hide. Delta 100 is as good as they come.

Could you let me have the name and address of the supplier of the
test charts you used?

My only problem with your article is that I can not find FX39 in
Germany, and have not been able to find a mail order supplier in the
UK who is willing to ship it to Germany. On the other hand there is a
relatively new developer available from the inventor/mixer/packer and
also from Photographer's Formulae in the US. Look at
www.barry-thornton.com if you like. His site has a lot of
developer/film information including formulae for developers - but
not the ones he sells though. I have ordered his two bath formula
Xactol, which can also be used as a one bath developer. Used so it is
the sharpest developer on the marked, if one believes Barry.  It is a
tanning developer and sounds interesting. I placed my order a few
days ago and will post  my (very simple) test results as soon as I
get the stuff. The test films (Delta 100 and HP5+) have already been
exposed.

Best wishes for the new year to you Erwin and to all readers of this.

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or