Subject: RE: [Leica] two sample images of great bokeh
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:59:11 -0500

> > http://www.kirktuck.com/Portfolios/Streetshots/5-3.html

Ted,

Easy there, young man!  I only point out the out of focus background as a
sample of "smooth bokeh" in keeping with the thread we've been discussing
for some time.  I don't mean to imply that this is what makes the photo such
a standout ("it's the model, stupid!" <g>).

I would suggest, however, that if the background had double-lined, jagged
bokeh, it would only be a distraction from that beautiful, sharply in-focus
subject.  One doesn't notice or think about the background in this image
precisely because one's attention is not drawn there!  This is the only
point I'm trying to make.

Funny: I saw the movie, "You can Count on Me" last night, and it's probably
a testament to how much LUG mail I've been reading lately that I wound up at
times just looking at the lovely background blur in the film. !!!  There is
one scene in particular where the two central characters are fishing on a
bridge.  The lighting is perfect, and the foliage in the background has that
creamy smooth Leica signature all over it.

Yep, the LUG has turned me into a bokeh addict.  I suppose I'll start
composing haiku and writing calligraphy next. :)

A very happy, ni-sen free New Year to you, Ted, and to all LUGgers,
Dan