Subject: Re: [Leica] Exploring the limits (part 1 of several)
From: Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 10:19:42 -0800

Your results are very interesting, and bring up very worth while questions, but
I think you may be jumping to conclusions without sufficient data (based upon
the information you supplied here).   One set of test data only proves the
result for that particular test series.   Many similar test results, from many
different photogs, on the other hand, would seem to prove your points.

Since your results are so different from the film manufacturer's, why not
contact them, explain your methods, find out the basis of their claims, and
hopefully determine together how the results could be do different?  Surely they
would be happy to hear from you, it would give them a chance for independent
confirmation of their claims -- IF they are correct of course.

Your three lens choices listed below are so different I don't see how much can
be learned from the comparisons:  the highest priced current production 135
manual focus lens vs the highest priced 28 to 50 vs a Canon 50/1.8 that often
sells for $50 or even less here in the US.   The caps on the Leica lenses you
tested cost more than the Canon lens.  BTW the Canon 50/1.4 FD generally has a
better reputation  than the 50/1.8 FD, which was Canon's least expensive 50 mm
SLR optic in FD mount.

Why not compare Leica vs Nikon vs Canon of the same or nearly the same
approximate age, focal lengths, apertures,  and price ranges (ie the best that
Nikon, Canon, Leica offered in a particular focal length?     perhaps three
50/1.4's,   or the 90/2 vs the Nikon 105/2.5 or 85/1.8  vs the Canon 85/1.8 or
105/2.8  if you want to compare each manufacturer's approach to resolution vs
contrast ?

The issues you bring up here are important an useful.   I especially look
forward to the reply from the film manufacturer explaining how the two test
results could be so different.

Regards,

Stephen