Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh controversy
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:08:20 -0800

Simon Stevens wrote:

> This is a little OT, but there was some discussion of the bokeh 150mm f4
> Sonnar for the Hasselblad. I've always been a little puzzled by the
> critisism of this lens, and although I'm not a bokeh expert, the shots I
> have taken with this wide open look fine to me. Then it occurs to me
> that in fact all of the shots I'm thinking of also had a Zeiss Softar 1
> on it (they were portraits after all). I haven't tested the effect but
> it stands to reason that a softar-type filter has to have a pretty
> pronounced effect on out of focus highlights. Maybe this goes part of
> the way to explaining why so many portrait photographers are happy with
> such a "bad" lens. I know I am.
>
> Simon Stevens

My test for Bokeh of my 150 Sonnar on Delta 400 220 film shot yesterday is
dripping now to dry in my darkroom.
Also testing to see for effects of a scratch on my rear element.
From what i can see so far the Bokeh looks smooth as silk'
a little crispy nest time I'll sauté it in garlic!!!

Diffusion in effect i found ads to depth of field.
You don't have to worry so much as to where your focus is falling off.
It's off anyway everywhere!

mark :) rabiner

Happy "Days of Non!"

updated temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/