Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Elmarit-R 90/2.8
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:31:35 -0800

My opinion about R sales is that new introductions are what expands sales.
People talk about slow R8 sales, but in its first year or two sales were
very strong.  I think that in Leica's market segment, there's an element
that many of those who are going to buy something new will buy it in the
first year or two.  So, IMHO, to a large extent, those who desire 80
Summicrons and 100 APOs have them, and by now, there are sufficient numbers
available used that used sales substantially cut into new sales, and do so
more and more as time goes on.  The 80 and 100 have been around for what, 20
and 12 years, respectively?  It's time they brought in some new blood, like
a 90 Summmicron APO, 28 Summicron R, to spur sales.  But, then again, this
is only lay opinion, as I am not privy to their demographic studies.

Tom Schofield