Subject: RE: [Leica] Bokeh controversy
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 07:26:39 -0500

> > Check out:
> > http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_5/index.html

Now let's consider another portfolio for seeing the pros and cons of the 35
asph summilux:

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_14/index.html

I don't know for a fact that these were shot with the 35/1.4 asph, but they
sure have its hallmark bokeh.

Here are two samples where I find the harsh bokeh a bit distracting:
http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_14/pages/005.html
http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_14/pages/002.html

Here's one where the bokeh is still rough, but not quite as distracting
(probably because the foreground image is stronger and more compelling than
in the previous two samples):
http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_14/pages/014.html

And here's an incredible image (one of my all-time HT favorites) that is
well served by the limited DOF of the 35/1.4--although the favorable
lighting and contrast really make the shot (and here the asph shines):
http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_14/pages/016.html

Dan