Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh controversy
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 01:34:26 -0500

Dan Honemann jotted down the following:

>> The 75mm f/2.5 Voigtländer looks interesting, from seeing some of
>> Johnny B's (or D's) shots in Human Traffic.  Again, it appears to be
>> somewhat sensitive to the background.
>
> I know very little about this lens; can you point to some images in HT where
> Johnny used this lens?

Check out: http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_5/index.html

I seem to remember Johnny stating that all the shots in that portfolio were
done with the 75.  Shot no. 5 shows nice bokeh, while no. 16 shows superb
three-dimensionality, especially in the foreground.  No. 4 shows that the
lens handles background highlights pretty well, as well as not letting
lamp-poles, streetlights, antennae, and other long, narrow, thin, dark lines
against a light background distract too much.  Some others have a bit more
busy background and the lens doesn't seem to fare as well.

Then, all that said, go back and look at all his portfolios just for the
sheer greatness of the pictures.  Forget all about bokeh, composition, or
anything else, and just appreciate good photography.  Check out images like
no. 18 in portfolio 8, n4/p13, n11/p3, or n10/p15.  SP doesn't get much
better than that.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | Hardware will break.  Software comes
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | broken.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |                 -- Unknown