Subject: [Leica] bokeh controversy
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 18:36:21 -0800

Some time ago I had the chance to use the konica hexar. After hearing
what a cat's meow it was, I asked a friend to lend me his and see what
all the hype was all about. For a while I got decent negs, but there was
always something about them that proved difficult to print. Then one day
I processed a roll with my leica negs. I just about choked, I might as
well been using an exakta with a biotar. That hexar roll stood out in
poor contrast and a lack of specularity that was quite apparent next to
the leitz glass. That week, I gave him back that wretched piece of gear
and never looked back once.
Bokeh or not, everything about those leica optical formulas just stands
out like nothing else. Coupled with a focotar, the prints have a quality
to them that even none leica users grudgingly notice.

Slobodan Dimitrov