Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh controversy
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 16:49:03 -0800

Dan my man! :-)

I whole heartedly agree with everything you say! :-) I'm not putting the bokeh
down, it's just that it's something I've known as "neat out of focus background"
for many years picture taking with Leica's of all sorts and lens lengths.

But it has not been something I dwell on, nor really look for in the picture.
Possibly because I always try to shoot with the widest possible aperture and the
highest possible shutter speed, whatever they maybe in combination, therefore
the bokeh happens and I don't give it a second thought. I simply go back to the
"subject itself" has to be as smashing as possible.

I suppose the bokeh factor is the kind of subject we could discuss until the
cows come home and until we could all sit down,  prints in hand for comparison,
would we really learn the true value of it to our picture taking. I think what
happens in my case is that it's there, it happens and is just part of the over
all image without me even thinking about it and in effect its enhancing to my
pictures without me even considering it.

I hope this kind of allows a better understanding of why I don't think it's the
big deal some folks make of it, even though I know in some cases it's an
enhancing factor to the subject.

ted Grant