Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh controversy
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 13:33:56 -0800

"austin@darkroom.com" wrote:

> [...]

Gosh guys,

I don't want to be the wet blank on this bokehie stuff. But I bet a hundred, that HCB, Capa, and any number of old timers and many new timers never knew what the hell the out of
focus thingies in the back ground were. Let alone put the "seemingly endless" importance to it that some on the lug attribute to it!

Hell I was shooting for just about 50 years before I even saw the word which was the first time it appeared on the LUG! Let alone did I ever relate to the out of focus background in
any picture as it was always supposed to be the front ground in focus that was the most important aspect to taking pictures.

And quite frankly it still is! Simply because if the front part is cracker jack sharp it's going to pop off the screen or page and who cares what the background looks like. I'd like
to assure you that the many photo editors  - AD's I've worked with during 50 years ever acknowledged the back ground and I never heard them once say, "Hey Ted great bokeh but the
picture content sucks!" ;-)

But then it's different bokehs and strokes for some folks. And thems their choice!

Just me on a quiet apre-Christmas day.! :-)