Subject: Re: [Leica] Bidding on eBay (was: something else totally unrelated)
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 11:36:24 -0800

Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de wrote:
><Snip>  Or the seller
> wants cash quickly without hassle and without spending time on proper
> advertising. ><Snip>
How does one advertized on ebay?

><Snip>

> On the other hand ebay is a place to conveniently buy and sell within a
> short period of time. If you are not into accumulating gear, you buy
> when you need something special for a job and sell after the job is
> done, minimising capital outlay, insurance etc..
>
> Hans-Peter

This is to me the single biggest and important effect ebay will have on some
very basic stuff here.
Ownership!
What are we going to when our concept of ownership flies out the window?
Everything is in effect rented.
There used to be a big ego thing where we decided which accumulation of cool
stuff was going to help define us and make us go.
Now it's a floating succession of wonderful stuff we barely get to know.
What will happen to pride of ownership?
This person has e bayed his Chevy Nova for a Sinar P. and he's going to play
around with it for a month until he trades that in for a used Pinto!
Where's Susan Sontag when we need her?

mark :) rabiner

Ho Ho Ho!

updated temporary Website by "Foxy":