Subject: RE: [Leica] Special Leica lenses
From: Al Edwards <alwards@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:45:21 -0800 (PST)

> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:23:10 -0500
> From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>

> 75 1.4...  I think is has welded it self onto my
M...

Yeah, I'll have to second this -- though I'm glad to
hear that the 28mm Elmarit has fans: I'll have to try
one. I'll add that I've shot more duds -- up to 40-50
straight loser images -- with the 75mm.

I've been a rangefinder photographer for a whopping
2.5 years now, and, spoilt bastard that I am, have
used an M6 the whole time. The biggest change, beyond
a quadrupling of my film consumption, has been in the
quality of my best images: the standouts are more
outstanding than they were in the old SLR days.

I love all my lenses -- honorable mention to the 24mm
ASPH, because of its scary technical brilliance. But
it's predictably impressive. In contrast, the 75
Summilux delivers the great shot less frequently and
predictably -- I am still learning how to play to its
strengths -- and surprises me with great shots I don't
remember taking.

I look at something I'm going to photograph, and I do
not see what that lens is going to see. And it
delivers huge home runs amidst images where I thought
I was just wasting film.

I believe an early post in this thread said something
similar about the 28mm. Sorry to spill more ink
blathering about how great the 75mm summilux is, but
the comments about the 28 reminded me of my sweetie.

- -Al