Subject: Re: [Leica] The M6 and 75 'Lux Repair
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:16:57 -0500

> I was never happy with the lens' performance on my older .72 body, it was
> not sharp... or so it seemed to me....I had bought it used so I was never
> sure it was the lens instead of my technique.  With the repair, I am now
> pretty sure the lens' focus was set wrong compared to the body itself....I
> would say the lens' cam was set wrong.
>
> Now it is possible that the out of calibration VF caused me to focus the
> lens wrong, compounded by the F1.4 DOF.  But I never had any objection to
> the way my 35 and 50 Summicrons worked, and I should have noticed something.
> I am pretty particular about focus errors.  At 10 feet, being out of focus
> by 5 feet ( actual focal plane is 15 feet and subject is at 10 feet) is too
> much of an error if the body were to blame.  I think I would have noticed.
>
> Off to shoot SOMETHING today at F1.4.............
>

> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net

Frank,

There was an article in the LHSA Viewfinder magazine about the Noctilux
which pointed out that lenses like that needed to be calibrated at the LENS
MOUNT, particularly important for wide open shooting. It also said that
applied to the Summilux 50 and 75. There was also some information on
calibrating the mount, for do it yourself. If you hunt around at
http://www.lhsa.org for Viewfinder back issues you can find that story.

Steve
Annapolis