Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo shop ?
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:50:17 -0800

I spend much more time using image editing programs than I do taking
photographs. This is a defect in my character, of course, but it makes
me qualified to offer a reply to this query.

I use Adobe Photoshop because I know it will always solve my problem.
There is nothing that I can't do with it. Other programs have 80% or
90% or 70% of its functionality, but when you really need to do
something and there's a deadline, you know Photoshop will be there for
you. When I need a transformation layer or a cubic spline or a history
brush or the ability to convert a selection to a rubylith channel or to
convert to Lab color and make a mask in the Lightness layer, Photoshop
is just sitting there waiting for me. I've used it for 10 years, and I
still spend an hour or two a week reading the manual and practicing new
tricks. My guess is that I could do 95% of what I need to do with a
lesser program, but when that last 5% comes up, I'm very glad I have
photoshop.

There's no point in buying photoshop unless you are going to learn how
to use it. Probably the same is true of a Leica, but Photoshop is a lot
cheaper. And it's big and clumsy and not very user-friendly. Unless you
are prepared to spend 50 to 100 hours learning how to use Photoshop and
then keep your skills up by using it at least an hour a week, don't
waste your money.

Brian Reid