Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: BESSA-R revisited
From: "William" <ohlen@sierratel.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 13:53:50 -0800

Dan Khong writes:
> It has been some time since the Bessa-R was introduced into the market and
> I would like to think that by now LUGgers who have used it would have
> gotten to know the good and bad points about this camera. I will
appreciate
> your feedback.

I have been using the Bessa-R since early March.  I carry it every day.  I
am only currently shooting about one roll of film per week.  I have used the
M-series Leica since 1965.

Disadvantages to me:

1.  I now remember why the bayonet system is great.  Changing screw-mount
lens in a hurry is a pain (the more hurried you are the longer it takes).

2.  The rewind lever is a pain.  Don't even try with gloves on.  Once you
get the lever up, rewind is a snap.

3.  I still haven't got used to the placement of the shutter release.  I
keep thinking it is an M camera and I try to release from that position.

4.  The Viso system will not fit due to the different placement of the
shutter release.

5.  Tom's current model of the soft release won't work.

Advantages to me:

1.  I feel that the rangefinder is better than my M3 and particularly my M6.
It doesn't flare.  I can get a focus spot in any lighting situtation I have
encountered.

2.  The placement of the flash synch plug to the right is much better than
the M's placement on the back of the camera.  As a left-eyed shooter, I
don't have a cord poking me in the face.

3.  I like being able to tell what film I am using.

4.  I like the price.

5.  The loading system is more familiar to anyone that uses an SLR.  It's
not in the least bit tricky.  Thus any member of my family can use it
without having to have used the M as a training device.

Neutral:

1.  The exposure system is spot-on with my M6.

If the Bessa-R had an M-mount and if the Viso III would fit on it, I would
seriously consider selling all of my M-cameras and using the Bessa body and
some of the Cosina/Voigtlander lenses.  On the other hand, I hope I am never
in the situation where I have to make a choice.

Regards, Bill Larsen

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: BESSA-R revisited)
Message from D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg> ([Leica] Re: BESSA-R revisited)