Subject: RE: [Leica] Benefits of Leica M film loading/rewind system
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:43:18 -0500

> With my Leica I often rewind the film without having shot the entire
> roll. I leave the leader out, and mark which frame number I was at
> and then put another kind of film in, etc..When I reload a half shot
> roll of film, I shoot through to the frame number where I left off by
> leaving the lens cap on, and setting the camera to the fastest
> shutter speed, smallest aperature and focus at infinity. Seems to
> work well!

Tom,

I often do the same thing, only I put the M6 TTL on "Off" and shoot through
to the last frame plus one (just to be safe, although it always seems to be
right on the money)--with the cap on, of course.  I haven't bothered with
adjusting the focus or the aperture, though I suppose those are good
safeguards.

Curiously enough, the M will allow the shutter to be released and even open
the shutter curtain in the "Off" position--I have no idea at what shutter
speed (anyone out there in LUG land know?).  I discovered this when I gave
my neice my M6 to take a shot and she triggered the shutter accidentally
before moving the dial from the "Off" position.  I wound up with a nicely
exposed shot of my sister's living room couch.

Dan