Subject: [Leica] Benefits of Leica M film loading/rewind system
From: Tristan Tom <tt@tristan.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:53:29 -0700

One of the seldomly mentioned benefits of the Leica M camera is the
film loading/unloading system. For instance, I can easily rewind the
film by feel in order to leave the leader out. This is something that
most other cameras (esp. SLRs) have to either be programmed to do, or
in many cases, have to be sent to a service center to have modified
to leave the leader out (Nikon F100 is one example).

With my Leica I often rewind the film without having shot the entire
roll. I leave the leader out, and mark which frame number I was at
and then put another kind of film in, etc..When I reload a half shot
roll of film, I shoot through to the frame number where I left off by
leaving the lens cap on, and setting the camera to the fastest
shutter speed, smallest aperature and focus at infinity. Seems to
work well!

Tristan Tom
<http://www.tristan.net/>

Replies: Reply from Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] Benefits of Leica M film loading/rewind system)