Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicaflex mk1 light metering question
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:27:24 EST

In a message dated 12/15/00 8:03:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
merlin@flyingemu.com writes:

<< On Thu, 14 December 2000, weber_leou@itri.org.tw wrote:

 > I just got a Leicaflex mk1 and notice the light metering is always on.
This is different from my SL which use the film loading crank to on/off the
meter --- same as Nikon FM2/FE2.

 As I understand it, this is normal for Leicaflex Type 1.  Type 2, with the
round exposure counter window, has a meter switch in the film advance lever
like the SL has. >>

    IME, the most practical approach to battery conservation is to cover the
meter cell completely.  As I understand it, lack of exposure to light results
in complete cessation of current flow, or nearly so, resulting in little or
no draw on the battery.  The science will have to come from someone else.
    This can usually be done by using an ER case and keeping it closed when
not actively shooting, or by devising some form of light-tight cover for the
cell.  Or - one could always use (gasp) _Black Tape_...

Joe Sobel

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Leicaflex mk1 light metering question)