Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Cleaning
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:33:32 -0500

Terry Sham jotted down the following:

> I would like to know what are your methods of cleaning lens? The guidebook
> of the lenses said using micro fibra for cleaning fingerprints are
> recommended. I have bought a micro fibra cloth from Leica today. Is it safe?
> Is the lenses are easy to be scratched by cleaning? All the front and rear
> elements of my lenses are with fingerprints. Is the rear element are softer
> so that it is more easy to be scratched?

Terry, you seem to have a particular knack for (innocently?) asking
contentious questions that have been the center of long flamewars and
extremely drawn out and laborious threads in the past.

May I offer a simple suggestion: When you feel a question coming on, which
is relatively unsophisticated, such as the above, perhaps you could do a
quick check of the archives first?  I plugged "cleaning lens" into the
search engine and it found 708 matches.  On the first page returned by the
search engine are 5 messages titled "Lens cleaning technique/materials" and
11 messages titled "Lens cleaning".  I'm sure that you'd find a good answer
in that first page.

You can find the archives at:  http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |  All wiyht. Rho sritched mg
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |  kegtops awound?

Replies: Reply from "Terry Sham" <tsham@netvigator.com> (Re: [Leica] Lens Cleaning)